Half cup of Yellow Dahl/Half Cup Red Dahl
1/2 tbsp butter 1tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Whole diced Onion
2 Peeled, grated fresh Garlic cloves
2 inch grated Fresh Ginger
1/2 can of diced plum tomatoes/1 diced fresh tomato
1-2tsp Salt (to taste)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
1/2 tsp Corriander Powder
1/2 tsp Chilly/Paprika Powder
Handful of freshly chopped coriander
1 cup of rice
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp of olive oil
Salt to taste
To make the Dahl:
- Combine the yellow and red dahl and cook in pressure cooker with a little salt and turmeric.
- For the masala, in a pan, heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When they begin to sizzle add the onion. Once golden add the ginger and garlic and whole green chilly.
- Cook for a couple more minutes. Then add the salt, garam masala, coriander powder and chilly powder. Mix well.
- Then add the tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Now time to add the cooked dahl from the pressure cooker! Mix with the masala and add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil on high heat.
- Add the fresh coriander.
- VOILA! It’s done!
Now time for the Jeera Rice:
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in pan. Add cumin seeds (jeera).
- Once they begin to sizzle, add 2 cups of water on high heat.
- Once the water comes to boil add the rice.
- When the water begins to reboil, lower the heat to medium and cover with lid for 5-7 minutes.
- VOILA! Fragant Tasty Jeera Rice is Done!