Gobi Aloo is one of my favourite foods to eat and make. To eat, because it tastes so good and to make because it’s nice and easy! It is one of the most popular vegetarian Punjabi dishes and is widely eaten all over India. It’s extremely flavorful and if you are cooking for anyone who is not all that keen on cauliflower this could be the dish that turns that around! Check it out:
What we need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 whole cauliflower
2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger
2 cloves of grated fresh garlic
Pinch asafoetida powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tin diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of water
Handful of fresh coriander
How we do:
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into medium size pieces.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut in half and then slice length ways.
- In a large non stick pan, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- When they begin to sizzle, add the garlic and ginger.
- When they have turned a slight golden color, add the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Add all of the spices, tomatoes and water. Mix well.
- Cover on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- When the potatoes and cauliflower are soft, sprinkle fresh coriander and serve with naan or chapatis (keep posted for upcoming chapati recipe) .
- BALLE BALLE! Gobi Aloo is done!