This is another one of those recipes that I make to take with me to school when I have a ridiculous amount of classes back to back. Yes I still kick it old school with packed lunches! Nice and easy, good source of carbs, omega 3s and energy!
What we need:
14.5 oz box whole grain penne pasta
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled diced
5 small mushrooms, washed and diced
1 zucchini, peeled, diced
1 1/2-2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tin plum tomatoes
2 tsp honey/sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
handful fresh basil, chopped
How we do:
- Add pasta to pan of boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and a dash of olive oil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until cooked. Drain.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the onions and garlic. When they soften, add the carrot.
- When the carrot has softened, add the mushroom and zucchini. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the plum tomatoes, salt, pepper and the honey. Mix well.
- The secret of the sauce is the bicarbonate of soda.When you add it the sauce will foam. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Sprinkle on the basil.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix together.
- BALLE BALLE! You’re ready to chow down.