This is a classic North Indian recipe and tastes awesome with jeera (cumin seed) rice, chapatis or naan. Great as a vegetarian alternative at a dinner party. If you’ve ever tried this at a restaurant and liked it, I guarantee you will enjoy this recipe 100 times better!
Serves 2-4 What we need:
- 1 cup raw or 1/2 can cooked chick peas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1 whole diced onion
- 2 cloves fresh grated garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 can diced plum tomatoes (or 1 diced fresh tomato)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp paprika/chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander
How we do:
- If you are using chick peas out of a bag, soak them overnight. Cook in pressure cooker or large pot until tender( usually about 10-12 in pressure cooker). Add a little salt.
- For the masala, in a pan heat the oil and butter on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When they begin to sizzle add the onion. Once golden add the ginger and garlic.
- Cook for a couple more minutes. Then add the salt, garam masala, coriander powder and chilly powder. Mix well.
- Then add the tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Now time to add the cooked chick peas from the pressure cooker! Mix with the masala and add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil on high heat. Add the yogurt and mix.
- Sprinkle on the fresh coriander and you’re done.