Keema Mattar is a popular non veg dish in India. It’s a straight forward recipe and is pretty easy to master, all you need is a little patience. The result is a delicious spiced minced lamb dish which tastes great accompanied with fresh garam chappatis or fragrant basmati rice. Check it out, let me know what you guys think!
What we Need:
- 1 1/2 lb minced lamb
- 1 cup peas
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2″ ginger
- 1 green chilli
- handful fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup of tin tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 big black cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2-3 tsp (or according to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup water
How we do:
- In a food processor, place in the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and the powdered spices.
- In a non stick pan, heat the oil. Add the whole spices. When they begin to sizzle add the processed masala paste. Cook the paste on a low heat for 7-10 minutes. Keep stirring.
- If the paste begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, you can add a couple of tbsp of water.
- When the masala paste is golden and cooked (you can see the oil separate from the masala at this point), add the tin tomatoes and puree. Keep stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Add the mince. Cook on medium heat and stir until it changes colour. You will see water form in the pan.
- Once the water has reduced fully, add the peas and add 1/2 cup water.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for another 10 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring every 2 minutes.
- Now add the yoghurt and cook it for another 2-3 minutes. Add the coriander.
- Balle Balle you are done! Best served with naan, chappati or rice!