I’m excited about this recipe as Rajma is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes. Typically eaten with basmati rice, it’s a very popular North Indian (Punjabi) dish. Both kidney/pinto beans can be used. This is my mum’s recipe that never fails -it just tastes so darned good! Enjoy y’all.
What we need:
- 1 cup raw or 1 can cooked kidney/pinto beans
- 1 large black cardamom
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 whole diced onion
- 2 cloves fresh grated garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 finely chopped green chilli (optional)
- 1/2 can diced plum tomatoes (or 1 diced fresh tomato)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander
How we do:
- If you are using raw kidney beans, soak them overnight. Cook in pressure cooker or large pot until tender (usually about 10-15 minutes after first whistle in pressure cooker). Add a little salt and the cardamom in the water before you cook.
- For the masala, in a pan heat the oil on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds.
- When they begin to sizzle add the onion. Once golden add the garlic, ginger and green chilli.
- Cook for a 3-5 more minutes. Then add the salt, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder and paprika. Mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and fresh coriander. Mash them up and mix well to form the masala.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked kidney beans to the masala. Add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Check the salt and alter accordingly
- BALLE BALLE! That is it, you’re done. Extremely simple and easy, woop.