I love rajma! It’s one of my favourite dishes. Usually served with basmati rice, this Indian pinto bean dish is called ‘rajma chawal’ in Hindi. I highly doubt you will find this at any Indian restaurant but it’s one of the most popular North Indian dishes. Made with a spicy tomato masala, it’s really flavorful and paired with rice, it’s extremely satisfying to eat.
What we need:
- 2 cups raw or 2 cans cooked pinto beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 can plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Pinch of tandoori powder (optional)
How we do:
- If you are using raw pinto beans, cook them in a pressure cooker or boil them until soft. Be sure to add 1 tsp salt whilst doing so.
- In a food processor, add the onion, chilli, garlic, ginger and fresh coriander. Grind to a coarse paste
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the grinded paste. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now add all of the dry masalas and mix well. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes and mix. Cook for 3-5 minutes. When you see the oil begin to separate from the masala, it is ready.
- Add the cooked pinto beans to the masala and add half cup of water. Cook on high and let it come to a boil for about 5-7 minutes. Check for salt!
- Balle Balle! Chow down with some basmati rice, garnish with coriander and you’re good to go 🙂